Sunday, September 28, 2008

Washington
















The First Debate was last night. Just for a minute, forget about your political opinions, if you can. Regardless of the content of everyone's politics, I don't want to lose sight of how amazing it is that this November there will either be a Black man as President or a woman as Vice President. How amazing that a young black kid can watch TV and think about her/his future, and see Barack Obama on the TV and dream big!

Same for Sarah Palin. Kids don't have the faculties to get into the nitty gritty work of all this stuff thrown around (a blessing?). If and when I have a daughter, I'd want her to look at Sarah Palin and see a strong woman and have my daughter say, "Damn right I could do that! There are no limits to what I can do!"

So let's celebrate a little. There are some real and necessary political battles that need to be fought. And we'll continue to get plenty of that. But let's not forget that these are historical times worthy of celebration.

2 comments:

marcus said...

It's a great thing that this country has come so far, but we still have a long way to go. Bigotry is still rampant in America, and you only need to look at the Republican primaries to see it. If Mitt Romney had a different religion in his bio, I have no doubt he would be the republican nominee. Sadly, there are millions of Mormon kids who will see what happened to him and telling themselves that being president is not an option.

Schweers said...

Very true, Marcus. I agree on every count! Work to be done for sure.