Monday, September 15, 2008

Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama

The collaboration between Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama has been a source of great strength and hope for me. There is something about black Gospel music that is knowingly hopeful. Without trivializing or dismissing very real suffering and injustice, the Good News remains as a light in darkness, a testimony, dare I say a witness to the fact that darkness and death are not the end. And this Good News Music is sung in community, with the collective breath (The Hebrew is ruach; the Greek is pneuma--the word used for the Holy Spirit by Christians) of the Church. So I don't even have to believe at this moment that there will be a light in the midst of this darkness, but I can sing anyway, I can sing with my community, and the Spirit, the Breath, can still be at work.


Take a watch and listen to these.

Take My Hand Video from YouTube

Audio of There Will Be a Light

No comments: