Monday, November 3, 2008

Hope Network: Election Edition!


This campaign has gone on quite a while, huh?! Sure there is negative campaigning going on, yet I find great hope in the numbers of people turning out to vote! Ok, I admit we as a nation have a rather sad record in terms of voting rates--Australia and Malta are at like 95%-(I'm all for tax breaks for voters, like $50: who's with me?) But early voting has caused quite a stir across the country. According to the AP, early voting has tripled since 2004. And voters in one Georgia county stood in line until 10:30 p.m. last week to cast ballots.

In Florida, there were such long waits for early voting- over five hours in some places- that Gov. Charlie Crist had to step in and sign an executive order extending early voting hours to accommodate the masses. And the Florida A&M marching band entertained one group of early voters at a polling station (right).

So let's get out there on Tuesday if you haven't already done so! This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land...


1 comment:

Reese said...

This election has generated enthusiastic conversations between me and many of my students, and I love seeing them so engaged, esp. since so many of them aren't old enough to vote! This morning, one of my Somalian students (now an American citizen) voted in her first election with her mother (a new citizen). She was thrilled to cast her first vote for Obama. Tonight's anticipated outcome definitely fills me with hope.