Thursday, October 16, 2008

22.6?

I meant to make this post 4 weeks ago. That was the day I ran 14 miles for the first time in my life. When debriefing with my wife I told her that "if running 14 miles is that hard then I have a newfound respect for anyone who has run a marathon." Which made me think of Brad (venerable moderator of the hope network, who has run a marathon) among others. And it made me think of the hope network. I was hopeful that if I stuck with my training program I would be able to run much further. Even if it was that hard. And let me tell you, those last 2 or 3 miles were really hard and painful.

I'm not training for a marathon. I'm training for a 22.6 mile race over the Colorado National Monument. Though it's 3.6 miles short of a marathon it has over 1500 ft. of elevation gain (a lot of uphill). I consider it a worthy challenge, though.

I'm not sure if it would have been more appropriate to make this post that day or today. Despite being intimidated and discouraged, I did feel hopeful. So the next week I ran 16 miles. They were just as painful, and in fact I spent the rest of my day nauseous. Then the next week I ran 18 miles. I actually felt a little better during much of the run but the last few miles were hanging on for dear life, and I had a hard time walking down the block for cool-down. Then this week I tried hard to procrastinate it, but finally convinced myself to run 20 miles (the peak of my training program). This time the pain kicked-in way earlier in the run for some reason. But I knew I had done 18 and, even if I had to go slower, would be able to do it.

Come race day I will be tapered and much more fresh. And I've run 20 miles so I'll know I can complete those extra 2.6 (downhill) miles. My hope now is a lot less audacious than it was 4 weeks ago. But to be sure, it was hope that kept me going on each of these runs.

I'm glad that 14 was so hard because it prepared me for what was to come.

2 comments:

Schweers said...

Nice work, Jon! And good luck with the run! My marathon had a net elevation change of zero, and a total change of about 60 feet-no exaggeration!

Karoline said...

Strong work Jon! I'm so impressed with the mental and physical stamina it takes to run and keep running. My sister ran her first marathon this past weekend. I'm proud of anyone who can accomplish that kind of challenge.